Monday, October 19, 2009

First link to come up when searching Dora. Why? I don't know

So I decided to do some research of my own on Dora. I first went to Google…of course. I searched the key words “Dora” and “Sigmund Freud” and was pretty surprised at what came up. The very first item was an article criticizing Freud’s interpretation of Dora’s dreams. http://home.swipnet.se/~w-73784/dora.htm

He then continues to say that he knows how it would have been possible to succeed where Freud failed. “To make sense of dream images one must avoid Freud's technique of projecting 'latent content' into the dream images. Instead one must keep to the images. What you see is what you get. One must investigate the image context with the aid of the patient. In the following I propose an alternative understanding of the dreams, although my interpretations will be somewhat sketchy.” You should take a look at the article to read his interpretations. The angle he takes are kind of interesting. I’m not sure how much I agree, but I’m going to wait to make my own interpretations until I read that section of the book.

The author of the article isn’t any prominent person in the academic world. I don’t even know if he has a PHD or any type of psychology degree. When I tried to find out, the home page where this article came from was in German…I think (you German speaking students are welcome to take a go). Either way, it mostly caught my attention because it made me wonder the way in which I would interpret Dora’s dreams. I also thought it related to the previous dream interpretation discussion that Emily started in the blog 2 or 3 weeks ago. I would be very interested in hearing how you all would attempt to analyze one of Dora’s dreams. Or maybe you completely agree with Freud?? Spill it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.