There has been a little flurry of plays recently about Freud.
In Buffalo, they're performing a piece called "Freud and the Sandman," which was just reviewed in The Buffalo News. It's kind of interesting for us because it's about Freud's essay on the uncanny, in which he discusses E.T.A. Hoffmann's short story, "The Sandman." We'll be looking at that at the end of the semester.
Just an hour or so west of here, at the Barrington Stage Company in Pittsfield, they are performing a piece called "Freud's Last Session," in which Freud meets C.S. Lewis in England and talks about religion. The old atheist meets the young devout scholar and they have it out, without ultimately deciding anything. Despite its indecision, I enjoyed the play. I mean, the questions the play asks are pretty hard to answer!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I saw a book called "The Question of God" at Worcester public library, and it's about Freud and C.S. Lewis but I think it's a different entity. I'd really like to find a copy of "Freud's Last Session."
ReplyDeleteMike, I have copy of the play--I'll try to remember to bring it to class today.
ReplyDelete