(Hope you don't mind, Teddy--I added the picture of Ann Margaret, in the role of Tommy's mother, to your post.)
Hey y'all,
Hey y'all,
so while I was reading Freud's lectures concerning hysteria, I couldn't help but think how The Who's rock opera, Tommy, deals with what could be considered some form of hysteria. The main character, Tommy, witnesses the murder of a father figure and is told by his mother he "didn't hear it, didn't see it, and won't say nothing to no one never in [his] life."
5:22-to the end
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5GBroq6dsM&feature=fvwFrom this point on, Tommy is blind, deaf, and mute until finding a cure. Obviously these symptoms, in Freudian terms, are the convergence of emotional experiences and traumas, and because Tommy is unable to detach from his past, he ends up neglecting what is real in the present. One could go even further in considering the role of the mirror in the opera as the trigger for both the onset and recovery of the illness (Tommy saw the murder through the mirror/Once Tommy's mother "smashed the mirror", he was cured, or "free").
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ohiEiNULCU&feature=related
Anyway, I've always loved the Who but now its on a completely different level. Ugh, so deep!
Here's a link to Tommy.
Ann Margret is a pretty traumatizing mother in that film!
ReplyDeleteI think it is so cool that you made this connection! Tommy is one of my favorite movies and in 10th grade I wrote a report on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and I cited Tommy as an example! I'm glad to see that someone else made a connection between the Who's crazy rock opera and psychology!
ReplyDelete