Monday, November 9, 2009

Freud & Puig

As I was reading through this week's work, I kept wondering about the connection to Freud. I think that the connection has to do a lot with Puig's writing style, and the idea of free association.

Freud believed that by talking about what is bothering you, the unconcious will eventually work its way through and show itself. Puig's work illustrates this concept because the author switches between the interactions the main character experiences with others to the main character's experiences in his own words. The interactions are more for the reader to interpret, but the first-person narratives are kind of like the main character spilling his guts to a therapist, or in the case, the reader. The main character is able to then make connections upon connections, and more thoughts are probably stirred up as the unconcious thoughts surface. This idea of a talking freely about something shows up in many of the works we read, but I think the very basis of what Puig is trying to get to is the idea that the human mind is complex, but we can try our best to try and decipher it ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.