Specializing in French Caribbean literature, Professor Simek is the author of Eating Well, Reading Well: Maryse Condé and the Ethics of Interpretation. She has published articles on Baudelaire's figuration of the reader, female friendship in French literature, Caribbean women's autobiography, parody in French Caribbean novels, and trauma theory, and has co-edited volumes devoted to literary cannibalism (Feasting on Words: Maryse Condé, Cannibalism, and the Caribbean Text, Princeton: PLAS, 2006) and representations of trauma in French and Francophone literature (Dalhousie French Studies, Winter 2007). She is currently working on the deployment of humor in the Antillean novel. Her wider research interests include the intersection of politics and literature in Caribbean fiction, trauma theory, and sociological approaches to literature. Professor Simek holds a B.A. and an M.A. in French from Case Western Reserve University, and received her Ph.D. from Princeton University in 2005.
here's the link in case you want to see it on the actual site...
I couldn't find too much information on her either. When researching her, I came across the same blurb. Apart from the book that it mentions she wrote, I couldn't find any other books she had authored, but I did find one or two that she had edited. I also didn't find any articles she had written readily available on the internet, but perhaps through the inter-library loan system we could find a few of those articles?
ReplyDeleteI was just wondering what both of your status' were regarding this book...I've had no luck finding it...anyone else?!
ReplyDeletehere's the link i was talking about in class...
ReplyDeletehttp://books.google.com/books?id=ynUqa-0rNzMC&pg=PA23&lpg=PA23&dq=nicole+simek+eating+well+reading+well&source=bl&ots=qocCQX27eO&sig=nhIj65Z70gXnYD7doqzaJBekLXY&hl=en&ei=JLUCS8b8F9DllAfB9LXeAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAsQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false
So I haven't really heard from either of you, but here's what I have for the questions...
ReplyDelete1. Does colonialization count as a trauma to certain people?
2. In Freud's case study of Dora, is Dora an exemplory phenomenon or can her case only be interpreted one way?
3. In Freud's Leonardo text, he brings up the example of the significance of the vulture in Leonardo Davinci's life. This vulture example may have been misinterpreted in translation; do you find that this problem in textuality arrives often when historians study literature?
4. What is your own definition of trauma? Can this definition vary throughout cultures?
If you guys have anything to add or change, let me know. Also, have either of you done anything with the introduction?
I'll take care of the introduction. I had to miss class Monday, and I'm not very good about checking this blog, so I had no idea you were trying to reach out. I'm sorry! But I had no luck finding the book either, it seems like it may be a difficult feat to do so.
ReplyDelete